The Deshler-Morris House, also known as the "Germantown White House", gives the following descriptive information:
Twice this house sheltered George Washington. In 1793, he took refuge here from the deadly yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. The following summer, it was a welcome retreat from the heat of the capital city. Ironically, Washington's nemesis, British General William Howe, occupied this home during the Revolutionary War in October 1777. Also known as the Deshler-Morris House, the home gets it name from its first and last owners. David Deshler built the home beginning in 1752. Elliston P. Morris donated it to the National Park Service in 1948.
Today, the home has been restored to its 18th century appearance. Interactive exhibits in the nearby Bringhurst House provide a glimpse into the life of Washington and his household, including his enslaved servants. The site has limited hours.
From November 16 - 30, 1793, President George Washington lived in this rented home while Philadelphia remained under quarantine for yellow fever. Washington met with his cabinet here, and together, they conducted the nation's business and addressed issues of foreign policy. The following summer, President Washington returned with his family to enjoy the expansive gardens and orchards in this "fine airy place".