SDP Parent University
philasd-parentuniversity.org (No Longer In Operation)
SDP Parent University introduces itself with the phrase, "Parents Involved, Students Achieve". "SDP" refers to the School District of Philadelphia. This organization gives the following descriptive information:
- Research shows that when families are involved in learning, they will play an active role in the educational process.
- This increase in parental engagement will positively contribute to children’s academic and social success. Parent University engages parents in innovative and meaningful partnerships for learning.
- Parent University partners with internal district departments, academic institutions, community and faith-based organizations and city agencies to equip families with additional skills, knowledge and resources.
- Classes offered through Parent University, provide training in life skills such as character development and financial literacy, and will equip families with tools that they can use to encourage their children to become successful. Classes are offered in locations situated across the City and in different languages.
- Provide an educational platform to build strong parent-teaching communities that will increase student achievement in all District public schools.
- Collaborate with internal District departments to ensure families are provided with the access, opportunities and tools they will support literacy at home as well as resources to advocate for their children's education.
- Collaborate with adult literacy programs and higher education institutions to fulfill the commitment to the City of Philadelphia's education initiative to increase the number of residents going to college.
- Provide resources and collaborative opportunities for adults who wish to achieve their own personal academic and non-academic goals.
- Provide a program within the context of adult continuing education to support adult literacy and employment opportunities.