Called To Serve Community Development Corporation (CTS)
The origins of Called to Serve (CTS) are deeply rooted in the story of Michael A. Major, Sr. Technology Business Analyst for a leading Wall Street firm and associate minister at the historic Zion Baptist Church located in North Philadelphia. Born to parents who had a passion for education even though neither completed high school, Michael greatly benefited from the ministry and programs of a civil rights leader, the late Rev. Dr. Leon Sullivan, and Zion.
Called to Serve (CTS) is an emerging socioeconomic community development entity (CDE) dedicated to the complete renewal, restoration and revitalization of underserved neighborhoods in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
With a primary focus on the Nicetown-Tioga neighborhood of North Philadelphia, we envision a wholesome Philadelphia urban ecosystem with intact neighborhoods, thriving businesses with access to capital, and reformed schools that produce academically competent students.
CTS mission is to serve as an anchor for community renewal, and to support endeavors that break intergenerational poverty, primarily in the Nicetown-Tioga neighborhood.
Note: The above descriptive info came from the organization's About page.
In The News
- Nonprofit secures over $1M for community center at N. Philly church, Philadelphia Tribune, February 13, 2022.
- Students learn computer programming at 'Hour of Code', Philadelphia Tribune, December 19, 2015.
- About: About the Organization
- Facebook: @calledtoservecdc
- Programs: Education and Entrepreneurship
- Twitter: @called2servecdc
- Germantown and Erie Merchants Association (GEMA)
- Nicetown-Tioga Improvement Team (NTIT)
- Philly CoderDojo
- Tioga United
- Zion Baptist Church