African Immigrants in Philadelphia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Source: Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- There are an estimated 40,000-55,000 African immigrants living in the Greater Philadelphia area. (These figures are based on community leader estimates).
- There are immigrants in Philadelphia from almost every African country.
- The largest communities are from Nigeria, Liberia, Ethiopia, and Ghana.
- African immigrants in Philadelphia speak many different languages. Some, like Amharic in Ethiopia and
- Wolof in Senegal, are spoken by a majority of the community as first or second language.
- Other languages are spoken by just a small ethnic group. In communities with great linguistic diversity, English or French, the
- official language of the home country, may be the preferred language of communication