Ascension Mar Thoma Church
A Church That Believes In Jesus, A Church That Loves God And People
The Ascension Mar Thoma Church was formed in 1998 with 108 families who congregated at a rental property in Northeast Philadelphia. In 2000, the parish bought 3.35 acres of land with a building and part of it was temporarily converted to a sanctuary for worship services. The construction of a new church had began in May 2005 and completed in March 2006. The new Church was dedicated on March 11th 2006. We currently have about 230 families in our church.
The Ascension Marthoma Church belongs to the Marthoma Diocese of North America and Europe. Our Diocesan Bishop is Rt. Rev Dr. Isaac Mar Philaxenos. Our parent church is in Kerala which is called the Malankara Syrian Marthoma Church.
The goals and functions adopted by the Mar Thoma church are:
- To be the repository of the divine doctrines revealed by Jesus Christ and proclaimed by His Apostle.
- To maintain these doctrines in their purity.
- To promote the spiritual life of its members through the administration of sacraments and by the ministry of the WORD.
- To make disciples of all nations by the proclamation of the Gospel to all the world, and through the administration of Holy Baptism in the name of True God.
Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church is traditionally believed to have been founded by Saint Thomas (Mar Thoma) one of the 12 disciples of Jesus Christ, in the year AD 52. The Headquarters is at the SCS Campus, Tiruvalla, Kerala, India.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the church's About Us page.
In The News
- Turkey time, Northeast Times, November 26, 2020.
- Email Newsletter: Church Weekly Bulletin