Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Mentoring Youth to Build the Biggest Possible Futures
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence is a donor-supported organization that enriches, encourages and empowers children to reach their highest potential through safe, one-to-one mentoring relationships.
Volunteering as a Big Brother or Big Sister is about making a measurable difference in a child’s life by sharing new perspectives and experiences. Serving Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in PA and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in NJ, nearly 3,700 children annually are more successful socially and academically because of the work of Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence.
Our Mission: To create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap.
By partnering with parents/guardians, volunteers and others in the community we are accountable for each child in our program achieving:
- Higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships.
- Avoidance of risky behaviors.
- Educational success.
Our vision is that all children achieve success in life! National research has shown that positive relationships between Littles and their Bigs have a direct and measurable impact on children's lives. By participating in our programs, Little Brothers and Sisters are:
- More confident in their schoolwork performance.
- Able to get along better with their families.
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs.
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol.
- 52% less likely to skip school.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the organization's About page.
In The News
- Eagles players keeping mentorship in fashion with annual Big Brothers Big Sisters fundraiser, KYW Newsradio, October 26, 2020.
- Event Calendar: Events
- Facebook: @independencebigs
- Twitter: @indbigs
- Volunteer: The Big Draft