Code for Philly
We use tech, data, and design as a mode of civic engagement. We're making Philadelphia into the city we know it can be by bringing together a community of people dedicated to using their talents to improve their home, and themselves.
Founded under Code for America's inaugural Brigade Program in 2012, Code for Philly currently hosts a weekly Meetup, regular hackathons and acts as an incubator for civic apps across the city.
- Make technology accessible to government, nonprofits, and community organizations by putting topical experts and technologists in conversation with one another and facilitating technology and data literacy.
- Create civic engagement and learning opportunities by leveraging open data with technology applications.
- Provide a collaborative space for participants of varying expertise and skill-levels to co-create civic improvements ranging from exploratory concepts and ideas to implementable products.
- Serve as a vehicle for the professional development of the Greater Philadelphia area's students, scholars, technologists, civic activists, urbanists and planners in addition to serving as a well of human capital for institutions seeking such individuals.
- Improve the Greater Philadelphia Area today with citizen-driven ideas, projects and civic technology tools that lay a foundation for greater change in the future.
We're civic and social entrepreneurs, self-directed learners, and proactive community members. Some of us are thinkers, designers, makers, and even coders, but we're all engaged citizens ready to make an impact on the place we call home.
At Code for Philly, we bring people together to learn from one another, network, develop leadership skills, manage projects from end-to-end, work in teams, and build tech.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the organization's Mission page.
In The News
- Code for Philly’s new technical fellowship offers paid skills development and mentorship, Technical.ly Philly, August 17, 2020.
- Modeling the pandemic, Philadelphia Citizen, April 13, 2020.
- 8 social good projects from Code for Philly's monthlong 'Phundamentals' hackathon, Technical.ly Philly, October 4, 2019.
- #CaaSH money: Join Code for Philly’s ‘City as a Service Hackathon’, Technical.ly Philly, September 14, 2016.
- Projects: Civic Projects Directory
- Does-Hackathons (1)
- Does-Software (4)
- Frequency-Weekly (23)
- Is-Advocacy Organization (487)
- Is-Coworking Space (22)
- Is-Hacker Space (7)
- Is-Learning Resource (22)
- Is-Member Of-Code for Philly (3)
- Is-Peer-To-Peer Platform (35)
- Is-Recurring Event (101)
- Issue-Peer-To-Peer (49)
- Issue-People Helping People (37)
- Issue-Technology (91)
- Makes-Apps (2)
- Serves-Civic Tech Practitioners (2)
- Serves-Creative People (26)
- Serves-Digital Developers (21)
- Serves-Self Directed Learners (10)
- Using-Shared Space (15)
- Using-Technology (36)