Independence Seaport Museum
Independence Seaport Museum deepens the understanding, appreciation and experience of the Philadelphia region’s waterways through history, science, and art, plus experiences on the water.
Dive into River Alive!, a new exhibit that brings the wildlife, science, and wonder of the Delaware River up close. Raise the sails and discover the history of the U.S. Navy aboard Schooner Diligence and our National Historic Landmark ships, Cruiser Olympia and Submarine Becuna. Observe live demonstrations in the Museum’s boatbuilding workshop and get hands on with science, technology, engineering, and math in our Citizen Science Lab and MakerSpace. Uncover the past with one of the largest maritime art and artifact collections in North America and experience the river with seasonal boat rentals and on-water tours. With so much to explore, Independence Seaport Museum is the premier, family-friendly destination on the Penn’s Landing Waterfront.
The Seaport Museum was founded in 1960 as the Philadelphia Maritime Museum and has become a key component of Philadelphia’s waterfront renaissance. We serve 110,000 visitors annually and are accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the museum's About the Seaport Museum page.
In The News
- Independence Seaport Museum honors significant anniversary, Metro, October 24, 2021.
- Independence Seaport Museum is hosting an emergency-weather hackathon, Technical.ly Philly, August 26, 2019.
- Digital Collection: J. Welles Henderson Archives & Library Collections Categories
- Digital Collection: Online Exhibits
- Event Calendar: Calendar
- Volunteer: Volunteering at the Seaport Museum