Office of Homeless Services (OHS)
Providing Emergency Housing and Other Services to People Who Are Homeless and To Those At Risk Of Homelessness
Our mission is to provide the leadership, coordination, planning, and mobilization of resources to make homelessness rare, brief, and non-recurring in Philadelphia.
Prevention and diversion: Working to prevent homelessness in the first place and diverting people away from shelters and into alternatives that are effective and safe.
Emergency and temporary shelter: Providing critically needed shelter to people who would otherwise be on the street or other places unfit for human habitation.
Long-term housing: Securing safe and affordable housing options for Philadelphia’s most vulnerable residents. This includes programs like rapid re-housing.
Food security: Informing food-insecure persons where to go for free food and meals, and empowering partners to provide healthy food options in safe and clean sites.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the department's About page.
In The News
- Aggressive panhandlers prompt Philly to offer new option for helping those in need, WHYY, June 13, 2017.
- City Offering 'Text Alternative' To Reduce Panhandling, CBS-3, June 12, 2017.
- Philly mayor: Don't give cash to panhandlers, Philly Voice, June 12, 2017.
- Alternate URL: philadelphiaofficeofhomelessservices.org
- Twitter: @PHLCityHomeless
- National Homeless Shelter Directory - Philly Page
- Philadelphia’s Coordinated Entry and Assessment-Based Housing Referral System (CEA-BHRS)
- Does-Case Management (16)
- Is-Government Agency (64)
- Issue-Homelessness (48)
- Issue-Homelessness Prevention (11)
- Issue-Housing (154)
- Serves-At-Risk People (12)
- Serves-At-Risk Youth (14)
- Serves-Community Based Organizations (8)
- Serves-Homeless (56)
- Serves-Homeless Youth (13)
- Serves-Nonprofit Organizations (122)
- Serves-Out Of School Youth (14)