Patchwork Storytelling Guild
Patchwork Storytelling Guild, also known as "Patchwork Storytelling Guild in Philadelphia" and "Patchwork: A Storytelling Guild", gives the following descriptive information:
The members of Patchwork: A Storytelling Guild are dedicated to promoting awareness of storytelling as a vibrant contemporary art form, a folk tradition, a way of celebrating life, a tool for personal and social transformation, and as a path for spiritual exploration.
In 1982, a group of professional storytellers and librarians rallied to combat the decline of storytelling due, in part, to growing trends toward the use of multimedia and technology and dedicated themselves to the survival of the art form by providing training, performance, and education opportunities, along with encouragement and an open forum for storytellers and audiences. Patchwork incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1984.
Patchwork encourages people to tell and listen to stories through the following forums:
- Sponsoring workshops and retreats for novices and professional tellers.
- Producing storytelling performances in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- Sponsoring a website and a Calendar of Events to promote storytelling.
- Patchwork members are involved in the following activities:
- Passing on oral history from one generation to another.
- Gathering and sharing stories that reflect cultural identities.
- Developing storytelling as a contemporary art form.
- Using storytelling as a tool for personal growth and spiritual exploration.
- Receiving coaching feedback from peers on artistic development.
- Attending informal story swaps with other members of the community.
In The News
- Patchwork Guild tells 'Tales of Courtship and Marital Mayhem' at Philly's Center for Art in Wood, Newsworks, June 7, 2017.
- Event Calendar: Upcoming Events