West Philadelphia Skills Initiative (WPSI)
In 2011, University City District (UCD) established the West Philadelphia Skills Initiative to provide an innovative solution to a complex economic challenge: too many unfilled or high turnover jobs at some of Philadelphia’s largest employers, and too many unemployed West Philadelphians.
Even as UCD's institutional and private partners pursue transformative developments that will create more businesses and jobs in the years to come, the community continues to grapple with poverty. Thirty-one percent of West Philadelphia's population lives below the poverty level, with an unemployment rate that is significantly higher than the citywide rate.
The West Philadelphia Skills Initiative was created to bridge that gulf. For nearly twenty years, UCD has worked hand in hand with institutional partners to revitalize University City, and WPSI leverages those relationships in order to help local residents access opportunity and thrive in the workplace.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the program's home page.
In The News
- West Philly Skills Initiative launches "WPSI Scholars" program to support its alumni, West Philly Local, June 16, 2021.
- From West Philly to the World, Philadelphia Citizen, December 19, 2019.
- West Philly Skills Initiative seeking new participants in landscaping job training program, West Philly Local, January 10, 2019.
- Entry-level job opportunities with Penn for unemployed West Philly residents, West Philly Local, March 15, 2018.
- Alternate URL: universitycity.org/wpsi