Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia
Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia gives the following descriptive information:
The Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia is a non-profit membership based organization, founded in January of 1962 as a chapter of the national organization of the Broadcast Pioneers. In 1995, we became an independent entity. Full membership is open to those who have been associated with broadcast/communications or associated fields for 10 years or more. Associate membership for those with less time.
Our membership includes station owners and executives, management, talent, sales, engineering, ad agency personnel and many others in all levels of broadcasting, communications and all related fields. The group holds monthly luncheon meetings to socialize and hear industry leaders as guest speakers. At these meetings, we learn the latest in industry trends, remember the past and promote broadcast-related causes, including support for the highest standards of broadcasting.
- We award scholarships yearly to deserving area college students in the communications field. In 2015, twenty persons received organization scholarship grants.
- We conduct educational and charitable activities. Symposiums for communications students are manned by working professionals and held at local broadcast stations. Our college career nights are similar to our symposiums except they are held on local university campuses.
- We recognize persons who have made significant contributions to the field of broadcasting and communications in the Delaware Valley. Broadcasters are recognized in both our PERSON OF THE YEAR program and in our HALL OF FAME. This evening funds our educational activities including but not limited to scholarships for communications students from regional universities and colleges.
- We record facts, data and traditions of the Broadcasting and Communications Industry in the Delaware Valley for use by current and future generations. On-going projects include collecting memorabilia and artifacts and to develop a written history of local broadcasting, part of that is this website. An archive of broadcasting data, articles, video, audio, photos and historical information is being collected.
- We strive to influence current broadcasting and communications practices to favor more cultural, educational and family oriented quality programming.