Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS)
Building Beauty Every Day
"The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society connects people with horticulture, and together we create beautiful, healthy and sustainable communities."
The growth of PHS over these many years reflects the changes in horticulture itself, from an early focus on specimen plants and ornamental gardens viewed alone in their majestic beauty, to a more holistic understanding of plants as a tool for urban transformation. Since PHS began its highly effective greening programs in the mid-70’s, the impact on communities throughout the region has been dramatic. PHS understands that plants and gardens are linked to the health of people, the environment and the economic vitality of Philadelphia. Programs like Tree Tenders, Plant One Million, Philadelphia LandCare, Civic Landscapes and City Harvest are changing the conversationon urban decay to a story of hope and transformation, one of renewal and civic pride.
Each year, PHS produces the Philadelphia Flower Show, America’s largest and longest-running horticultural event, which features stunning displays by the world’s premier floral and landscape designers. Started in 1829 by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the Show brings together diverse people and organizations to introduce the newest plant varieties, garden and design concepts, and organic and sustainable practices. Proceeds from the PHS Philadelphia Flower Show, including donations from foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individuals, support PHS programs and greening initiatives.
PHS invites people of all skill levels to participate year-round in educational workshops and events and, as members, volunteers and exhibitors. Together with our amazing partners, PHS is shaping the region through greening.
Notes: The above descriptive information came from the organization's About page. The organization's headquarters are in Logan Square, and it has many programs in many locations. (See the maps below under "Info".)
In The News
- The Philadelphia Flower Show is set to have a historic year, Metro, January 12, 2021.
- PHS recruits thousands of gardeners to grow produce for food pantries during pandemic, KYW, December 7, 2020.
- Planting trees: Good for the planet, good for you, Chestnut Hill Local, November 30, 2020.
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society enlists community gardeners to fight food insecurity, KYW, May 21, 2020.
- How urban farming is becoming a key part of Philly treatment programs, Billy Penn, April 30, 2019.
- Flower Show 2018: Pennsylvania Horticultural Society maintains year-round programs to clean, green local gardens, vacant sites, Bucks Local News, February 5, 2018.
- Grave gardeners bring Victorian blooms to West Philly's Woodlands, Newsworks, March 24, 2017.
- Event Calendar: Events
- Facebook: @PHSgardening
- Longer URL: pennsylvaniahorticulturalsociety.org
- Map: Community Gardens Map
- Map: phsonline.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...
- Twitter: @PHSgardening
- Volunteer: PHS Loves Volunteers!
- YouTube: PHS